Saturday, February 27, 2010

Fin del Mundo... the end of the world...

As I get closer to becoming FIREd (Financially Independent Retired Early) I have noticed something I never thought would occur in me.  I am starting to slack off some at w$rk! I have always been a very loyal employee putting the business first and my needs a close second.  I have always had a a very strong w$rk ethic. I am a "tell it like I see kind of guy" which isn't great for advancement but at least I ended up in jobs I liked since I have never been a suck up of any sort. This has likely cost me money in terms of advancement or merit raises over the years. All that aside I always put in my hours and the managment always got both quality and quantity form me in the work place.

But things have really changed since I reached the financially independent part of my life - the time when I realized that I could quit soon and I would very likely be just fine financially. There is nothing more liberating in working than achieving the state of 'mental empowerment" - that time when you know what "the FIRE date" is and thus know when you plan on not working any longer. Knowing this date mentally empowered me at w$rk to be even more a "tell it like it is" guy and it also allowed me to further explain to my superiors that my actions were done so with no agenda in mind now that I was retiring soon.  It really is amazing how this little bit of knowledge in the w$rkplace changes so many co-w$rker and management attitudes towards you. Now there is a downside to being mentally empowered.  It has resulted in a negative behavioral trait that I now have knowing that my w$rk time is waning.  My sliding w$rk ethic due to my reduced motivation at w$rk has resulted in more slacking in my w$rkday. This has been an awkward challenge for me since I have always had a very strong w$rk ethic.  It is out of character for me to let my w$rk ethic slide but it equally satisfying knowing that my day is coming soon, and the end of this world as I know it...

4 comments:

  1. I feel exactly the same as you describe. My wife has a unique way of saying it. She says my "give a shitter broke".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the intricate roots of Human Nature... As much as some of us (some...) can shed the personal programmed notion of "money" it is still "unfortunately" a commodity of Life we know too well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. well said ara... well said... I am nearing my time as well...

    ReplyDelete