Thursday, January 27, 2011

RV Insurance… the comparison.

I took the liberty of filling out on line quotes for RV insurance on the web.  I got quotes from six companies.  The companies I solicited quotes from were all highly recommended from my scouring of the world web and and from reading the various RV related forums. I was interested in RV insurance for fulltimers – there is a huge difference in what it costs for this type of coverage as compared to what I call weekender coverage.

In order to be able to compare apples to apples I solicited quotes on the following items:

  • liability - 100/300/50
  • PIP - 5000
  • uninsured motorist - 100/300
  • comprehensive - 500 deductible
  • collision - 500 deductible
  • physical damage settlement options - agreed value
  • custom equipment - 1000
  • personal effects - 5000
  • roadside assistance
  • fulltimer liability - 100/300
  • glass coverage – with deductible amount

The companies I received quotes from were:

  • Victoria
  • Progressive
  • Geico
  • Foremost
  • Gilbert
  • Overland

The quotes were fairly similar and ranged from 1176-1497. Research on the forums regarding claims made no clear winner emerge.So how did I decide? I selected the one agent who took the most interest in my situation and was one of the lower priced options… you may get different results. I hope this helps some of you looking for fulltimer insurance. Now all I need is an RV…

…guess who is going to Austin tomorrow to buy an RV?

7 comments:

  1. I've attached a list of insurance companies that will augment your list. When I spoke with Geico they didn't really differentiate strongly between fulltime and weekender use.

    We should make contact ( I live in Austin ) and compare some notes. Interested - send me personal note over on RV52.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomorrow is the big day? I'm excited to hear more about your new home on wheels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news - I hope this means we get a picture of the whole thing soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only suggestion that I would make is to raise your deductibles. For example, your collision deductible is way to high in my opinion. Even if you have a $3,000 claim, you're not going to put it through insurance because your rates might go up and it's a black mark. Insurance is a no win situation (except for the insurance companies)so you might as well raise your deductibles to keep your premiums as low as possible.

    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kevin I did exactly that as I made my deductible at 1000 - when I first did this I started with 500 so I left it alone to make everything comparable and then when it came to decision time I had some of them update their quotes to 1000 ded. and selected from there. I went with an independent agent who got me a policy with Nationwide Insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoopeee the day is finally here and you must be SO excited. Me too since I've been waiting and waiting to find out what you bought.

    Thanks for the insurance information. Appreciate the details. We have Geico, they've been great! But we haven't had to use their road service so I don't know if that was a good decision or if we should have gone with the more popular choice.

    Sherry
    www.directionofourdreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. So excited for you!!! Can't wait to see the pictures!

    ReplyDelete