Even though I put out a string of Christmas lights and we put up our makeshift Charlie Brown Christmas tree, it is really hard to get into the Christmas spirit here in Florida. I imagine it has much to do with the weather here in southwest Florida where we are seeing daytime temperatures in the 70’s and 80’s and overnight lows barely creeping in the upper fifties. Not to mention every evening’s sunset is outlined with the silhouettes of palm trees.
Actually I suspect it has more to do with the fact that we are doing Christmas differently now that we are retired than when we were working stiffs. So what are some of the major differences we are experiencing now compared to then?
- we had tons more decorations inside and out of our home
- we used to be out and about spending lots of time on several shopping trips and then in the late stages rushing out for the last minute stocking stuffers. Instead we now are able to complete our shopping in one shopping trip to a couple of stores then finishing up using AMAZON.com.
- we had tons of Christmas packages to wrap and put under the tree whereas now, because we are on a more tight budget, there were fewer gifts. These gifts were wrapped, stayed under the little tree for the photo, then were quickly mailed away.
- we were in the late stages of planning and preparing a big feast back home by now but now instead we are attending a park-wide dinner and all we need to make is a single dish
- we would be planning on seeing our son and his family at our house or theirs (as they lived only 100 miles away) but now we will not see them at all until we return to Texas next spring.
- we would be attending our respective workplace Christmas parties and Sharon would most likely be buying a new outfit for each. Here we bought a bottle of Champagne to have our own little party (I’m sure Sharon will still put together a festive outfit with some of her Christmas bling).
Those are some of the major differences for us as full timing RV’ers but the one that stands out most to us is that we don’t hear the nonstop Christmas music as much since we don’t spend a lot of time in the car with the radio on as we did in my working lives……
At least our daughter is flying down to spend part of her Christmas holiday with us. I think I might have to put on some Christmas music soon so we will know for sure that Christmas is coming…