Last June we spent a month down in the southern part of the Florida Keys at Bluewater Key RV Resort (near mile marker 14). Now for the last two weeks we are staying near mile marker 5 in January less than a mile from Key West. Based upon these two short stays – one in summer and one in winter – I feel we have a pretty good sense of what it would be like to live in Key West.
Remember that one of our quests in this lifestyle of full timing in an RV was to seek out potential places that we could put our roots down into. Since leaving Texas we have come across a few promising spots but none as intriguing as we have found here in Key West.
So what are the pros and cons of living in Key West?
- weather, weather, weather,always tropical
- sun and palm trees everywhere
- blue water that is always warm enough to get in
- the locals we have engaged are real interesting and friendly people
- great year round fishing and seafood harvesting
- there is a regional airport nearby
- hurricanes, obviously
- lack of opportunities to earn any income if needed
- very expensive cost of living (especially real estate)
- no major medical facilities nearby
- too many cruise ships clogging up the the downtown area
- difficult for family members to visit (although they will more likely visit here than if we retired much closer to them)
Although we love the Florida Keys and really love being here near the Key West area we are not real sure we could live down here full time. It not just the cons above that tells us that it is something else.
What else could it be?
It is as simple as this, with as much partying as the conchs do here in the Florida Keys we are pretty sure our livers could never handle it… so our quest will continue…