March 2, 2011… the day we left College Station, Texas as fully retired individuals in a four year old motorhome leaving our house behind. What the hell were we thinking? We must have been crazy? That is what many of our friends thought. Why would they think that? Well for starters this was going to be the first time ever that we were taking the motorhome on a road trip and spending the night in it. Yes it is true, we retired, bought a motorhome (even though we had never RV’ed in our lives before), sold all of our possessions (except what we took with us), put our house up for sale, and took off on our first camping trip the day after we retired.
It was back in the year 2000 that I was in earnest trying to figure out the best way to retire by age 55. The steps we took back then allowed us to be where we are today. In August of 2009 we started talking about where we wanted to retire… Florida, the southwest, and maybe even becoming expatriates all were explored. Then in October of 2009 we created our bucket lists of things we wanted to accomplish in our retired lives.Noticing that many of these items were travel- related the idea of buying an RV and traveling to see many of these places came up. The more we talked about buying an RV the more convinced we became that this life style was for us.
Are we crazy??? Maybe… but as of right now we have absolutely no regrets! So here we are 365 days later after spending one year on the road and we are still loving our decision to do so… What are some of our highs and lows of this year in our fulltiming lifestyle?
- Watching every fastpitch softball game of our Daughter’s final year in college
- Finally selling our house in July
- Living in the Florida Keys
- Meeting new friends on the road
- Spending time with our new friends in their house in the Shenandoah Valley
- Seeing old friends in the New York Adirondacks
- See Penobscot bay from the top of a mountain in Maine
- Visiting Acadia National Park in Maine
- Spending a week visiting Cape Cod
- The Pennsylvania Amish Country
- Spending four months visiting many different beaches in Florida
- Bonita Springs, Florida and the fact it could be a future home for us
- Visiting the Everglades
- Leaving our friends behind in College Station
- Not being able to tow our car when we first left
- Getting our first scrape on the motorhome at Long Key, Florida
- Storms and hail in Spartanburg, SC
- Hurricane Irene in New Hampshire
- Having to unhitch the car the first time at a gas station
- Driving through Atlanta
As you can see the highs outnumber the lows and the lows really weren’t all that bad… As a result we are ready for Year 2…. so bring it on…