As we neared our departure from the Rio Grande Valley the most asked question was, "why are you leaving the RGV to go to Rockport?" Well, besides the obvious reason that we were only able to get a two month reservation at Bentsen Palm Village RV Park we also wanted to revisit an area that was a vacation place for us when we were much younger living in San Antonio, Texas.
- take the ferry over to Port Aransas and revisit it… I spent a great deal of my youth there for summer trips during my high school years at South San Antonio High School.
- reacquaint ourselves with Rockport, Texas… a place we came to for one of our wedding anniversaries.
- re-visit the Fulton Mansion… although Sharon has never been to it I helped clear trees from all around the property during a serious tropical storm that downed many trees on the property.
- get a little coastal fishing in for me and a little beach time for Sharon… we can never get enough of either of these activities.
- visit Goose Island State Park, Matagorda Island State Park and Aransas National Wildlife Refuge… I still fondly remember when Texas Parks and Wildlife first acquired Matagorda Island and one of my jobs was to do a flora and fauna checklist of the property…
- several bloggers we have met, and some we haven't are wintering here!… we hope to reconnect with as many of them as we can and meet as many new future friends as well.
- eat some fresh seafood… whether it is a fish I catch or the catch of the day at the boat dock, Sharon is on a mission to find good shrimp or oyster po'boy sandwich.
There are other things we plan to do but sometimes it is also nice to simply relax and do nothing!… thankfully we have gotten off to a a good start since the weather here has been fantastic and has us jumping with joy like the White Pelican in this picture…