Today is our last day in North Fort Myers, Florida here in Seminole Campground. We have had a great time during our stay here in South Florida. Our first stay was for a week at Siesta Bay RV Resort in Fort Meyers, then a month stay at Bonita Lakes RV Resort in Bonita Springs, then we had a couple of stays down at Key West, and finally we stayed a month at Seminole Campground.
We first entered the state of Florida back at the first of November 2011 when we went to visit the Mayo Clinic for our annual physicals. We have been in this state for nearly four months, by far the most time spent in any one state so far. So what did we think about our first winter in our RV in South Florida?
We have really enjoyed our time in Florida and it has been a blast to be able to practically circumnavigate the coastline of Florida. The birds and wildlife in Florida are abundant and the Everglades are made for the naturalist photographer. Some highlights to us in Florida in no particular order are:
- Shark Valley in the Everglades National Park
- Bicycling to Bunche Beach from Siesta Bay RV Resort
- Watching the sunset at Captiva Island
- The drive through Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge
- The beaches at Bonita Springs
- The farmers markets in Florida
- Buffalo Chips and Hog Body’s Bar and Grills
- Listening to the Blues at the Buckingham Bar and Grill
- All the nice walks we had in the various Lee County Parks
- All the nice people we met while staying at the various parks
- The efficiency and professionalism of the Mayo Clinic
- Everything in and around Key West
Will will spend winter in south Florida again? Probably yes, but next year we plan to winter in the southwest at a site to be determined later. Technically tomorrow we begin our slow journey out west to see the other side of the USA… Our next stop will be at Lake Manatee State Park near Bradenton, Florida.