Friday, March 6, 2020

Fun times, Well Except for the Retina Tear…

Image may contain: plant, flower and nature

Well we are down to our last week in Mesa so we find ourselves beginning to pack up and stock up for the trek back to Texas.  Our plan is to depart on March 11th for four nights in Tucson and then we will do something unusual as we will take five straight one night stops until we end up at Canyon Lake in Texas.

Image may contain: one or more people, people dancing and indoor

We are moving much more quickly because we stayed longer in Arizona than we normally do so we need to zoom to be able to see our grandkids in San Antonio. Therefore we will spend one night in Wilcox, AZ, one in Las Cruces NM, one in Van Horn TX, one in Sonora TX and one in Fredericksburg TX before settling in at Potters Creek COE Park for nine nights!

Image may contain: 1 person, on stage and playing a musical instrument

While we have really enjoyed our stay here at Mesa Regal RV Park we (well more specifically me) are ready to roll. In the meantime we have been continuing to enjoy the amenities and the nightly live music at the main pool or the West End pool. We do have one more Manager's Night this Friday to attend where we drink  25 cent beer, cheap even for the Canadians using their currency!

There is also a fellow here that is a true one man band and he has played in the park a few times. He can play most any instrument and does a mean Saxophone. He is also quite an entertainer and we remembered him from our past visits here. He is the only live music gig where you better get your seat an hour before his show. He plays everything from the 50’s to hip hop. Anyhow we saw him twice this time around and stayed to the very last song both times.

Image may contain: outdoor

We do love the park but sometimes we really crave time outside the compound so we did another hike at the McDowell Sonoran Park near Scottsdale. It is a place we have hiked before but it makes my soul very happy to savor the beauty of the Sonoran Desert. Since we only come out this way every other year I need to get my fill of the desert landscape…

Image may contain: flower, plant, nature and outdoorImage may contain: flower, plant, nature and outdoor

It has not been all fun and games as one morning I woke up to blurry vision. I also noticed some large “floaters” in my eye as well. Since it was Saturday I waited until Monday to see a doctor After some research I actually found an ophthalmologist who graduated from Texas A&M Medical School! During the appointment I learned I needed immediate laser surgery to repair my torn retina.

Image may contain: one or more people, mountain, sky, nature and outdoor

Apparently as we age our eyeballs tend to elongate and the vitreous humor (the liquid in the eyeball) shrinks. This separation of the vitreous humor from the back of the eyeball is called Posterior Vitreous Detachment. It appears that my vitreous humor was detaching from the back of my eyeball but as it was detaching it tore my retina.

Image may contain: sky, plant, tree, outdoor and natureImage may contain: one or more people, sky, plant, tree, outdoor and nature

Fortunately for me I had the repair that same day because if left unattended it could have resulted in a much worse complication such as blindness due to a retinal detachment. Unfortunately I have to live with the numerous floaters for many weeks ahead.  Although it is annoying I can drive with no problems and am certainly ready to hit the road.

 NOTE: We are currently in Mesa Arizona until March 11th 2020, then over to Tucson for four nights.

15 comments:

  1. Whoa! a retina tear??? glad it was repaired quickly. Nice all those UFOs (Unidentified Floating Objects) do not interfere with your plans.
    Safe Travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had three surgeries on my right eye due to retinal tears and another on my left eye due to retinal detachment. Both are said to be caused by cataract surgery, a known side effect. Now I'm restricted from any activity that could jar my eyes and cause further damage. I'm going to miss my bungee jumping days. ;c)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never was much of a bungee jumper... but your comment explains why they kept asking if I ever had cataract surgery!

      Delete
  3. Good thing you jump on that eye problem quickly. That had to be a major fulltime RV issue - well at least for us newbies it would be. I'm sure you handled it like a hiccup.

    We are in Texas. The spring wildflowers are popping out all over the place. Hurry up and get here:) We are dinking a Shiner beer outside the RV as we just moved from Goliad.

    Your friend, Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy the shiner and make it over to Shiner Texas if you can they have a nice county park nearby.

      Delete
  4. Forgot to ask. We are staying off US 59 Northbound, setting up for a Sunday morning drive through or around Houston. Building up my confidence towing in large cities. What about taking US59 north to the loop at 610 east bound to I 10? We are heading to Louisiana near New Orleans.

    Does US 59 to 610 to 10 sound okay for Sunday mid morning traffic in Houston?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunday is a perfect day to travel thru Houston and I-10 is usually an easy (albeit a bit bumpy) drive on Sundays...

      Delete
  5. Glad you are all tuned up. I remember that entertainer from our stay at Val Vista. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about your torn retina but so glad you were able to get it repaired right away. Hope the floaters disappear soon. Safe travels to TX. Sure looked like you had a blast in Mesa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we did enjoy our stay but for some reason or the other (probably n=my bad knee) we didn't get in as many hikes as I thought we would.

      Delete
  7. I've never stayed much in private RV parks, always in state or national parks or COEs. but your posts about your multi-month winter stays in both Florida and Arizona always seem so appealing in that you meet people you enjoy and can give up the constant moving. sorry to hear about the retina problems and glad you were able to get it fixed so quickly. Paul's comment worries me as I've had cataract surgery. Safe travels on your way back to Texas. If the flowers are coming out seems like early March is the time to be there. Glad to learn that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wildflowers have been popping up earlier and earlier over the years... global warming???

      Delete
  8. We've found we can do short stays in large mega resorts, glad you're able to get your outdoor "fix" when you need it. My dad has lots of eye issues including macular degeneration, one more thing for me to watch out for. Safe travels!!

    ReplyDelete