Sunday, October 11, 2020

Colleton State Park in South Carolina

1

As we pulled into Colleton State Park we were surprised at how small it was. Sites at this state park are fairly close to one another but at least we scored a nice pull through site.With few campers in this out of the way park we mostly had unobstructed views of the forest out our windshield instead of other campers which made it nice.

5

This park is mostly a park utilized by canoers and kayakers as it is on the Edisto River. The Edisto River is one of the longest free-flowing blackwater rivers in North America. The tannic acid of decaying leaves, branches and roots of the hardwood trees surrounding is where the water gets its black color from.

3

We discovered a short nature trail right beside our campsite making it pleasant to take morning strolls through the woods. Also there was s short boardwalk over to the Edisto River where boaters can easily put their watercraft into the river. There were lots of Pileated Woodpeckers in these woods making their loud and vocal calls.

2

One afternoon we took a scenic drive to see the countryside. We did have a planned stop at the Walterboro Wildlife Sanctuary near Walterboro SC. We hoped to get in some good hiking but sadly were limited since most of the boardwalks were in disrepair due to past hurricanes.

120750457_10157738951301139_1844654770467288285_n

We still enjoyed our hike and we even found one on the boardwalks open. This allowed us better access into the tupelo swampland. It made for another great day for us on our Road of Retirement… 

7

NOTE:  We are now at Gamble Rogers State Recreation Area in Florida for five nights.  

6 comments:

  1. Your science background shows, I learn something from almost all your blogs. I had to look up "tupelo swampland" to find more about it. It's also know as "Nyssa Biflora". And I thought it was a swamp near a Mississippi city :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Elvis' born in Tupelo MS as well. Tupelo are unique swamplands and the tupelo honey is also widely sought after in the spring.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for showing me the state park . It looks very nice period small and on the water is right up my alley. but South Carolina has really raised the rates of their state parks over the years we've been rving. I'll be at Gamble Rogers November 3rd but you won't be there period we do keep missing each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dictate my comments and have to stop myself saying period at the end of a sentence. Since sometimes it actually puts that dot where I want it and most of the time it types out the word period and I never remember to proofread my comments. Sorry for the above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often dictate mine and have done much worse than that... I now try to force myself to proof read them.

      Delete