Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Baseball, Softball and Eye Surgery #3

5

We came to College Station Tx primarily for me to have eye surgery number three. As you may remember I had my first surgery to my left eye to repair a torn retina. My second surgery on the same eye was a vitrectomy to “fix” my floaters issue in that eye. Well a third surgery was needed because the previous surgery accelerated the development of a problematic cataract.

0

When surgery day finally arrived Sharon took me to the out patient hospital. She masked up as required and patiently waited for my surgery to end. An hour or so of surgery and I was done. I opted to get a “distant package” lens in my left eye and planned to get the right eye done a year or so later.

4

This package basically sets one eye to see clearly close and the other (your dominant eye) to see far away. Since my left eye was not my dominant one they set it for close vision. A few days after my surgery I wasn’t overly fond of the eye having only clear near vision now and not any away vision. As a result I went ahead and scheduled eye surgery number four for my right eye to complete the distance vision package.

6

Since my old glasses were still useful in the interim we took full advantage while waiting for surgery by going to a couple of baseball games to watch the Texas A&M University Aggies take on a couple of non-conference teams. We are happy to report that not only did we have a blast watching the games but our fightin’ Texas Aggies won both games.

8

Being equal opportunity supporters we also went to watch a softball game at the new softball field. The women weren’t doing as well as the men in conference play but we still wanted to watch them play the first place (in the SEC) Arkansas Razorbacks. Although the lady Aggies were in last place somehow they managed to pull off upset walk off win in extra innings over the Lady Razorbacks! What fun!!!

9

We still have a lot of time to kill until my next eye surgery. Also, as a result of needing this surgery, we extended our stay here in College Station one more month until June 10th. This became necessary in order for me to make the many follow-up appointments post-surgery. Ahhhh, but such is our life on the Road of Retirement!

7

NOTE: We are now in College Station, TX until June 10th

5 comments:

  1. Baseball and softball - excellent ways to pass the time. One of the many advantages to life in a college town. Best of luck with your upcoming surgery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. We love college towns for that reason.

      Delete
  2. Looks like you had great seats for the ballgame. Sure a lot of fin and a lot less expensive then what the Padres tix cost.
    Fingers crossed for your next surgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's why we buy our tix online and go to mid-week games, as they are way cheaper and less crowded.

      Delete
  3. I am getting close to scheduling cataract surgery and will be interested to know how you like the far/distant lenses. I have been using that method for my contacts for years so will probably go that route.

    ReplyDelete