Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Talladega Alabama and Fort Yargo State Park in Georgia…


1

With a weekend approaching we had to leave Deerlick Park and move on down the road. Since we are booking sites only a few weeks in advance prime locations like Deerlick Park are nearly impossible to score on a weekend.

5

As a result our next planned stop was north of the Talladega Speedway. We found a nice Passport America park off the beaten path and spent the weekend at Talladega Pit Stop RV Park & Campground in Lincoln, AL.

6

There is not a lot to do or see in or around this park so we we used our time doing a little more future planning. We also drove over to the nearby town of Oxford to pick up some groceries. We shop for groceries frequently to take advantage of loss leaders and to ensure we always have fresh fruits and veggies.

3

The University of Georgia was not as impressive a campus as was the University of Alabama. However, unlike U of A, Georgia’s campus is more land locked by the city of Athens. Unfortunately for us it was raining a lot in the area so we only had time for a short stroll through campus and downtown Athens.

2

Afterward we had to stop by Terrapin Brewing for happy hour. What luck! They were running a 20-year anniversary special so we were able to try six beers for 10 bucks! This allowed us to try some exotic beers we would otherwise bypass and was a great way to end the day in Athens.

PXL_20220627_200306392

Back at Fort Yargo SP Sharon set up her outside gym in our spacious site for a long workout. While she was working out I unloaded my mountain bike and thought it would be fun to ride the 6 mile trail around the park. I hadn’t ridden any serious single track trails for a while so I figured 6 miles would be a good and fun ride.

PXL_20220628_151015748

Once the weekend ended we moved over to Fort Yargo State Park in the state of Georgia. This park is also off the beaten path but close enough to Athens GA for a day trip to explore the college town and University.

PXL_20220628_154337852

Well, unfortunately I wandered off trail multiple times and encountered such trail segments as Monster Mile and Heart Attack Hill. I bit off a bit more than I had expected but when I was finally done I felt great and really enjoyed the strenuous ride. I probably rode closer to 9 miles and was hopeful I would be sore the next day, luckily I wasn’t.

PXL_20220628_153656636.MP

As we slowly make our way over to North Carolina to visit our daughter we have been carefully eyeing places posing the question, could we live here? So far we haven’t answered yes unanimously...

PXL_20220627_233654332

6 comments:

  1. I am really liking the looks of that campsite - it reminds me of a COE site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice campground and I hear what you mean by not able to get the good spots on weekends if only planning a few weeks out. We also prefer not to schedule too far out and every time I do we end up changing plans. Month long stays can be a bitch but we are willing to move in the parks if they will do it.

    We are heading to Branson MO over US 60 from I-57 area. Going around those two old bridges in Cairo you posted about a while back! I drove them across the Mississippi and Ohio a year or so ago in the truck. Funny how ones planning steps change with time on the road - such as looking at major river crossings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a bad memory crossing those two bridges... wished I had planned to avoid them then!

      Delete
  3. The trails there look quite nice. That 'easy' bike ride gave you a preety good workout!

    ReplyDelete