Saturday, November 5, 2022

A few RV repairs finally finished, or at least we hope so…

PXL_20221014_165249647

We left the Beaumont area with the Atwood levelleg removed from the RV and put it in the back of the CRV. The drive over to Colleges Station took about 3.5 hours and we pulled into Holiday RV Park for a longer stay.

We have stayed at this park multiple times and their monthly rate just can’t be beat. We have been here for a couple of weeks already so I’ll share some of what we have been doing.

PXL_20221017_151934330

The first order of business was to try and solve the Atwood Levelleg issue. First I took about the box at the top to see if there were any gears broken. After removing the gear box and opening it I could find no sign of damage anywhere.

Finding no obvious damage I regreased all the gears and reassembled it. I cleaned up the jack, reset the control board and tested it manually with a bit I  bought for the drill.

PXL_20221017_151826859

I ran the drill on the jack and was able to completely retract it without any issue. Stumped as to what actually happened to it in Beaumont I decided to reinstall it on the RV. For grins I started the engine and tested the jacks. Of course the control board alarms went crazy so I reset the board. I tried once again and all the jacks worked.

While we aren’t entirely out of the woods since I still have no clue why the one jack didn’t retract, everything seems fine now. To be sure we will test them once again before we leave, then if they work we will just cross our fingers and hope it doesn’t happen again

PXL_20221017_151822551

While I was at it I went ahead and pulled our Thetford Aquamagic up and installed a new replacement cable for the foot peddle. This was actually quite an easy repair. I don’t know if I mentioned it but some time ago as we were flushing our toilet the foot pedal made a loud noise and fell flat to the floor.

After a little online research I discovered we had broken the foot pedal cable. Well we were in travel mode and couldn’t find a replacement part anywhere, and, well… to us having a toilet that flushes is critical for life. Since I couldn’t find one I had an idea to fabricate one out of a new bicycle brake cable. This worked so well we never replaced it once we got the new cable. Yet, recently my fabricated cable was slipping and flushing was not easy so it was time to replace it. Thankfully all is well once again!.

PXL_20221014_221458479

In the meantime we have been revisiting friends we haven’t seen in a while, playing disc golf at several different courses and going to happy hour at our favorite haunts. We will be here till November 12th so we will rinse and repeat these activities until our departure.

5 comments:

  1. There is always something to fix in an RV, some things major, some minor and some even when it is parked unused! It is always nice to read of your travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Croft, there will always be issues when traveling around in a mechanical beast. Yet, not much different than when we owned a house, just more inconvenient.

      Delete
  2. "Rinse and repeat" is not a bad idea when your activities are favorites that bring pleasure and contentment to your days. (Love your phrasing!). Hope the magical jack fix holds up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not one but TWO fine fixes this week. Hope the jacks continue to be error free! I've had to replace the gaskets twice in the toilet. Altho an easy task it always a lot of cleaning and plumbers grease.

    ReplyDelete