Thursday, November 2, 2023

Moving on to Plan B…

PXL_20231101_210607798

As you may recall at the end of the second coat of primer the paint gun started sputtering paint which resulted in paint drips all over the endcap. Well after doing some internet research I figured out what happened and how to solve it.

Apparently the paint tip cap that screws in over the paint gun tip needs to be super tight, I mean way tighter than one would reasonable assume.This explains why it was so hard to remove when I practiced taking the gun apart the first time.Not tightening it real tight can result in paint drips or splatters.After tightening the tip and retesting the spray gun I found it did solve the problem.

Further research yielded a solution to repairing the drips in my primer. Before the paint fully cures you can use a single edged razorblade to scrape the highest parts of the drip and then using a small block with 400 grit wet sandpaper you can slowly sand the drip even with the paint.

The first few drips took me a while to repair but once I got the hang of it I repaired the remaining drips pretty quickly.However, by the time I was done I had lost another day because there wasn’t enough time for me to put on two more coats of primer.This is making it a real challenge for me to complete this project especially since I have a flight to North Carolina to go see the grandkids for two weeks.

The next day’s weather cooperated and I was able to apply two more coats of primer. Better yet is that they went on smoothly and without any drips. However, with the one day of curing needed for the primer my luck with the weather is running out as rain and colder temperatures are heading my way.

The next day was cool and rainy and with the extended weather forecast leaving me only one day possible to finish the job I had some planning to do. Looking over the forecast I determined it would be unwise for me to attempt to finish the job due to the cooler morning temperatures. Temperatures not reaching 65 degrees early enough in the day meant I would be hard pressed to be able to complete painting three different colors with three coats each and the still be able to spray the clearcoat all in one day.

If there were any problems or challenges whatsoever that slowed me down even 10 minutes I would run out of daylight and unable to finish. And to do this job right it all has to be done in one day.My only recourse is to move to plan B.

I had mentioned previously that I was attempting to paint only the endcap to see if it was a task I was capable of doing and now I do believe I am. But I also learned a lot and realize it would be difficult to do this job anywhere else without access to all the equipment and space my friends have offered to me. Since I don’t plan (or want to spend any additional time here I will move on to plan B, letting someone else finish the job.

So it looks like another trip to Puerto Penasco Mexico is in our near future… 

6 comments:

  1. At least you salvaged the End Cap nicely. And Puerto Penasco, good shrimp while waiting for the coach to be finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you know we will be eating lots of fresh seafood while we are there.

      Delete
  2. Aw, that must have been frustrating - at least you had another option. Good luck with Plan B - and enjoy the time with your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was disappointing but I learned a lot and gained new skills.

      Delete
  3. In RV life, as in life in general I suppose, there needs to be a Plan B! (and possibly a C and D!)

    ReplyDelete