Monday, August 29, 2011

Goodbye Irene…

2011-08-29 Day before Irene 029

Sunday was the day they closed the forests… Irene was planning on paying a visit to the White Mountains of New Hampshire and unfortunately that is exactly where we planned on hunkering down while Irene made her way along the east coast. The only problem with that plan was the forecasters were wrong… way wrong…

2011-08-29 Day before Irene 006When it became apparent that the forecasters were missing the forecasted path through Maine by a long shot we were already pretty much committed to staying put. We did all the necessary preparations to prepare for the storm like we had done several times in Texas. Bought groceries, picked up all the loose items outside, battened down the hatches and filled up the water tanks. We had already dieseled up so we were ready for any power outages in the area.

The only down side to our campground is that it is smack dab in the middle of the forest with trees all around us. With this in mind I evaluated all the trees in the vicinity of our motorhome and found no diseased or dead trees. With only healthy living trees around I felt better but had located a rest area just a mile down the road with no trees around the lot to escape to if I felt the winds got too high.

2011-08-29 Day before Irene 004

2011-08-29 Day before Irene 010Irene came in Sunday afternoon with a bit of a whimper but still the winds and rain were fairly relentless. Rain had to over six inches in our area and the news reported that two of the towns we stopped and walked around in Vermont were being ravaged by floodwaters through their towns. Here in our park we had a few small limbs and debris fall down and the winds are still blowing near 15-20 mph as I type this blog on Monday at 10:00 am.

We are just glad the dire predictions of devastation along the eastern seaboard didn’t occur. We also feel bad for those who lost property or life in this storm. Hard to believe the day before we had hiked in the 2011-08-29 Day before Irene 017White Mountains along a stream to a beautiful 150 foot waterfall… I can only imagine what it looks like today… The pictures today are from the hike yesterday and how we prefer to remember this area. Tomorrow is a travel day to Maine’s coast if the roads are clear and the State Park we want to go to is open and ready for business.

If we are in a hurricane area again when one is predicted to come near we think we will just blow off any of our plans and move further inland. It is not really worth the chance you take with our weathermen’s forecasting abilities…


  1. Glad to hear that it turned out well. You really never know whether the weather folks have it right or not. You could leave the area they say it is going to go through and drive right in to the place it actually goes. What's a person to do??? Hope you get to the coast. I want to hear all about it.

  2. Nice to hear Irene bypassed you at that all is well.

  3. So glad you missed most of the "bad"stuff that goes along with a hurricane! Good-bye Irene, hello fun!!

  4. I'm glad you made it through - that must have been scary, even planning what to do. I think I'd cut and run, we're pretty vulnerable to trees, flooding, and high winds. Good luck - hope you make it to the coast and that the campground is okay.

  5. We are so glad you two are safe. Great idea about moving on the next time...but we pray there will never be a next time!

  6. Glad you are doing well. Hope you are able to get to Maine.

  7. I would have moved inland for sure, but from what we saw on TV, it looked like there was worse flooding inland. Glad you're okay!