Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Sharon blogs about going… Back to the Beach!

St Andrews State Park FL 015

sea oatsWe worried a little about moving south too quickly and having to become acclimated again to 80 and 90 degree weather with humidity. There were a few days in Alabama where the humidity was stifling but as soon as we arrived in Panama City Beach, Florida we were greeted by those awesome sea breezes. No acclimatization needed. In fact, John has moved all operations outdoors. He carries his folding chair to the waterfront across the street from our site to watch the sunrise, he plays the stock market on his laptop outside, we cook and eat outside and of course we enjoy an adult beverage (or two) in the evenings watching the sunset and/or visiting with neighbors.

What a welcoming place St Andrews State Park is. The sites all face the bay and it is almost always full. Apparently there was a lot of rain in August as several sites are still closed due to standing water. We worried that perhaps we might have a mosquito problem but luckily we have not experienced any problem other than a few of those annoying biting flies.

beachin itA short bike ride from camp is the beautiful sandy beach that is part of the state park. It took my breath away to see the beautiful dunes adorned with sea oats open up to that sight of clear bluish green water and bleached white powdery sand. It just feels like vacation to be here. I love it. The water is an ideal temperature and joyously I plan to spend every single day we are here frolicking in it. I realize I am out of practice as I forgot my floatie, my mask and fins and the binoculars. John laughed and reminded me I don’t have to do it all in one day….but I won’t forget tomorrow…

jzh in the waterSt Andrews State Park FL 017

It’s hard for me to describe all that I love about the beach. The pelicans, the terns, the fish, the crabs, the shells, the sound of the waves, the sun sparkling on the water, and the smell of the salt air, the gentle breezes and even the sea gulls envelope me with sheer joy. Maybe it brings out the child in me because every child I see at the beach seems to be having as much or more fun than me. I never ever tire of it. Though there are many sights left I want to see, I shall always yearn to revisit the sea. It is rejuvenating and like a vacation every day I am here. Wish you were here because it is about time to get in the water and go snorkeling today!

P.S. Where else but Florida can you go to Happy Hour and get invited this Saturday to a fish/shrimp/gator fry because a guy at the bar just wants to share his bounty with a few friends…

12 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about the ocean. Although we are loving it here in the mountains, I am starting to feel the ocean calling me back! Enjoy your stay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oceans, mountains and believe it or not, we love the desert! If I could choose only one, I would have a hard time making a decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the ocean too. . .how beautiful. . .lovely pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whenever it is that we come off the road, we are likely to settle somewhere with access to the sea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We truly are cut from the same cloth, cuz. Salt water air smells soooo good. Enjoy the beach and just relax.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A true "happy place", in every sense of those words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to hit the gulf in two months but alas we are headed to WI for the weekend. Enjoy the sunshine and warm temps, save some for the late arrivals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post Sharon and I am really glad to hear that October is not too early to return to Florida. I am in love with the beach for all the reasons you so elouently expressed here. It makes me feel like a kid again. Every time I run into the water, I laugh out loud. St. Andrews is a great place. Am loving your post!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gotta love the beach on a warm sunny day, there is just something special about it. Having too much fun there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Although I'm sitting in beautiful sunny 80 degree weather in Arizona, your post has made me even antsier to head to the Gulf.....ah, January will be here before I know it. We'll be in Corpus in Jan and then who knows. How long will they let you stay at the State Park?

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is so good to see you enjoying the beach already! I haven't missed it yet, but will sure be ready for it in a month or so. I can tell you are definitely a beach girl--more than I realized. Hope we can share some time on the Gulf somewhere this winter.

    ReplyDelete