Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Sharon’s Thoughts on Visiting Friends…

image

imageEvery time we come “home” to College Station it seems we see different sets of our old dear friends. We completely understand as we zoom into their already busy lives and they often cannot squeeze in a visit with us. I saw a saying recently that said, “good friends are like stars, you don’t always see them but you always know they are there”. So we never have hurt feelings about not seeing someone as we figure we will just see them next time or we will stay in touch via Facebook or email. When we do happen to meet up with these good friends we seem to pick right up where we left off and have a wonderful time sharing news from when we last saw each other.

Almost always soon after we arrive we realize quickly we need to create and maintain a calendar to avoid confusion or double scheduling. Along with touring and socializing there’s also the dental appointments, hair appointments and rental of the Rug Doctor for our spring cleaning to coordinate while we are here so that calendar becomes our planning guide to get everything done. This time around we are doing a few cleaning items each day rather than our past efforts where I was so intent upon getting it all done the first couple of weeks. This way has given us more flexibility to socialize making it lots more fun than when I pretty much closed us off for the first two weeks to clean and get it done leaving the last two weeks as another rush trying to see everyone.

image

The very first week we have taken cleaning breaks to visit our old favorite bar several times and have seen several friends that way. We visited John’s former workplace and saw many more friends. Then through my pictures on Facebook of our campsite several other people have dropped by to see us and the motorhome! Before I would have been horrified that people were over before I finished cleaning. Now I just explain that we are in the midst of spring cleaning so pardon the disarray and now I wonder why I ever worried about that in the first place. Live and learn.

imageOn one particular day when we were cleaning out drawers and cabinets 3 people happened by. First was my dear friend (my hairdresser who was an angel to me during my breast cancer bout) dropped by so we had a nice 3 hour visit (amongst the drawer and cabinet contents) laughing and telling stories just having a good ole time. Not long after she left John’s friend Bill came by while on a lengthy bike ride. Again we dropped everything and had a great visit. After he left, we finished our tasks for the day and at Happy Hour yet another dear friend, Annie came by to share some wine and fun while we all sat on the patio enjoying sunset, snacks and each other’s company.

I think this is going to be the best stay ever. None of the cleaning is as meaningful as these impromptu visits or the flexibility to walk around town soaking in the beauty of springtime in Texas. I am glad I am learning (finally) to relax and go with the flow…

11 comments:

  1. That last pic of you is the BEST pic of you, EVER. Way to go, John. You captured Sharon perfectly. Your last few posts make me want to join you on the road, almost!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your time at "home" reconnecting with friends and family:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a bit of a cleaning freak myself, I am glad to see you figured out what really is important in life! Friends are what make it rich and full and as they say, on your death bed, I'll bet you won't say, "I wish I had cleaned my house".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that's what retirement is all about...learning to relax and go with the flow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds so amazingly relaxed! Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue Malone said it all. That was my thought exactly as I read your blog. I also agree with John's comment above. That picture shows how beautiful you are and we also know that beauty isn't just skin deep.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is cleaning easier in College Station because you know the location of resources for doing it? We clean the coach before we reach people whose opinion matters to us, like our daughter and members of our chapter of Alfa owners. Maybe when we've been full-timing as long as you have, we'll be equally laid back...

    ReplyDelete
  8. The impromptu visits are the best. Everyone is welcome anytime, take us and our house as we are.
    Friends are more important than a clean house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a challenge making sure all the visits are timed and not double booked. We also needed a social calendar on our recent visit to Las Vegas. So much fun to see everyone and how not a moment had passed even though it was over two years. Good friends are indeed like stars! Excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the reminder - gotta clean my closet and better arrange clothes for a warmer season.

    ReplyDelete