Sunday, May 10, 2015

Turning A Coleman Stove into a Texas Smoker…

more pics 044

Our son called and said he wanted to make the 3 hour drive from San Antonio to see us one more time before we leave the state of Texas. He and his family came to College Station to spend a night with us. It was great to see him and his wife and of course our grandkids one more time. We had a blast taking them for a walk around the Texas A&M campus.

image

I wanted to make them a nice dinner but I also wanted some more Texas smoked BBQ like we had in Lockhart, Texas.  I bought a large rack of pork ribs and two pork tenderloins the day before they came. I coated the ribs and the tenderloins in my own rub. For those that don’t speak BBQ a rub is a mixture of spices and other ingredients that are sprinkled heavily on the meat and rubbed into it. My rub has brown sugar in it which when rubbed onto the meat it will create a glaze on it. The rub sits on the meat overnight.

more pics 025more pics 027

The next day I soaked some mesquite wood in a bowl of water. This wet wood was then placed over the slotted grill side of my Coleman Grill. The meat was placed on the flat griddle side of my grill. I turned the slotted grill side up to half so there was enough heat to make the wet mesquite wood smolder but not burn. I left the other side of the grill off so only indirect heat and smoke would be cooking it. Using indirect heat is the one of the keys to making good Texas BBQ. Another key is cooking it slowly and not too hot.

more pics 040more pics 037

When I closed the grill I didn’t see much smoke and after evaluating my situation I realized the slotted vent in the back was letting too much air circulate. I decided to use some aluminum foil to create some vent restrictors that would keep most of the smoke inside the grill.  This would allow smoke to slowly escape but not before enveloping the meat in the deliciousness that mesquite smoke imparts on the pork.

more pics 038more pics 036

The meat was turned a few times and repositioned so that none of it would be overcooked by being in a hot spot. Four to five hours later I had done what I thought I would never be able to do on a Coleman Grill… I had made some pure Texas Smoked BBQ!!! It was soooooooo good!

more pics 050more pics 045

You can bet we will be doing this again in many states outside of Texas so if you see us in a park and see smoke coming from our grill y'all might be advised to stop over for a bit because something very, very good is about to come off the grill…

7 comments:

  1. Looking forward to meeting up again so we can try your yummy BBQ!! Great idea! Everything looks wonderful. We'll supply the meat and you can be the chef:)

    How nice to have one more get together with your son and family:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your ribs look yummy for sure. I've smoked on our Weber quite a few times. After taking the wood I've soaked out of the water I put it in tin foil and poke quite a few holes in that tin foil. Then, I place it on the fire vents. It does an amazing job of getting the flavor of the wood into the meat. Brown sugar is also one of the ingredients I use when I smoke salmon. I do a lot of that when we're in Washington but it's not as easy around the country finding wild salmon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my. I have been doing it all wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow really fabulous Heyduke. Very clever and looks absolutely delicious. I'm definitely going to keep my eye out for you. Are you headed east by any chance?? :-) Love the picture of your group in front of the A&M group.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a wonderful meal, its been a while since I did that on our Weber Q, basically the same way, yummy!

    ReplyDelete