Saturday, February 23, 2019

Removing and Replacing Our Water Heater - Part 2…

DSCN0508

After removing the old water heater from the bay I salvaged all the good usable parts from the old one should we need them some day. I purchased the new water heater on-line and as soon as it arrived, I unpacked it and readied for the install. First I needed to re-plumb the back of the unit as the new water heater didn’t include any elbows needed to attach my existing plumbing to the new water heater.

After a quick trip to Lowe’s for plumbing parts I was now ready to install the new plumbing. Since I had to cut the Pex water pipes I bought new Sharkbite fittings to reattach the parts I needed to cut. Next I needed to re-wire the water heater, slide it in, attach the hot and cold lines then it should be all set. Easy as pie… or so I thought.

IMG_20190211_121756IMG_20190211_143013

INSTALLATION OF THE SUBURBAN SW10DE WATER HEATER

1. I slid the water heater about 1/4 of the way into opening opening

2. Next I connected the module board wiring as I connected the two red wires together, as well as the two blue ones and the three green ones. I used crimp-on write nuts to secure the wires together and then applied some black electrical tape to the ends to ensure they would stay together.

3. The module board and all associated wiring to it must be protected. I used Gorilla Tape to secure the module board and wiring to the Styrofoam casing of the water heater and also taped the wiring to the casing as well.

IMG_20190216_093601IMG_20190216_102205

4. Then I attached the AC wiring which was fastening the white wires together and then the black wires together as I did in step 2. Next I screwed in the green wire to a solid ground.

5. After completing the wiring I slid the water heater in a little more than halfway inside so as to attach the hot and cold water lines to the 1/2" female pipe fitting on rear of water heater tank. I trimmed the Pex with a Pex Cutter and then used the new Pex pipe fittings to connect the hot and cold water lines. It is important to make sure to connect to the right water lines!!!

6. With water lines connected I needed to connect the Propane back up by connecting the 3/8" gas supply line to the 3/8 flare fitting at gas valve located on the front of the water heater. When making this connection I held the gas fitting on the valve with a crescent wrench (in order to not damage the fitting) and then tightened the flare nut.

IMG_20190216_102211IMG_20190211_161817

7. Next I turned on the gas and checked all gas connections for leaks, using a soap and water solution. I didn’t see any bubbles forming around any of the connections so I had good connections. Immediate correction would be needed to any connections even with the slightest leak.

8. I then turned the water back on to the RV. With everything connected I filled the water heater tank with water. I opened both hot and cold water faucets inside the RV to expel air from tank. I knew the tank was filled when water flowed from the faucets. Then I closed the faucets and crawled back under the RV to check all water connections for leaks. (Unfortunately I had a leak during my first attempt and had to disconnect and reconnect an elbow joint requiring me to disconnect all water lines,the gas connection nd the electrical connections and pull out the water heater to tighten the elbow further. Using Teflon Tape on these connections is required but I simply didn’t get the elbow tightened enough so make sure you check this before putting your water heater in the bay and filling it up).

IMG_20190211_160812MVIMG_20190209_130424

Afterward I reattached everything and rechecked for any leaks. Seeing none I was pretty happy. I quit for the day and decided it best to wait 24 hours and recheck for water leaks before fully installing the water heater.

The next day I checked once again for leaks and found none, however the bottom of the bay was wet. I assumed this might be from all the water that I had to dump out of the water heater the day before. But as I was rechecking my water connections in the back of the water heater I suddenly noticed water pouring from above the water heater.

Holy #@$%$%… I realized we have a water leak coming from above the water heater…. More on this saga in a future blog…

NOTE: We are at our winter site until March 1st in Bonita Springs, Florida…

5 comments:

  1. Oh my sure sounds like and adventure with this install. Hope your things all straightened out and working soon, good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All that careful planning, ARG! Can you locate the area of the leak from your new rear access panel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The leak has been found and repaired.... but wasn't fun!

      Delete
  3. Working on an RV is like a boat. You have to do everything twice. PITA, but there is some good feelings knowing you did it yourself.

    ReplyDelete