Thursday, February 28, 2019

Removing and Replacing Our Water Heater - Part 3…

MVIMG_20190227_093248

With the water leak fixed (more on that in a future blog) I slid the water heater into the bin opening until the front edge was flush with the exterior of our RV. Then I re-used the four framing screws that I removed earlier to secure the water heater to the RV.

MVIMG_20190226_070244MVIMG_20190226_070301

Next I needed to drill two pilot holes in the bottom front edge of the water heater so I could further secure the water heater to our RV.  I needed make sure to recess the screws far enough in from the front edge of the water heater (at least 1 1/2") so the screw heads wouldn’t keep the outer water heater trim flange of the door frame from properly fitting inside the water heater. Also it was important to not over tighten the screws to prevent warping the water heater’s outer frame.

MVIMG_20190227_093229MVIMG_20190227_093243

With all of the screws in all that was left was putting on the outer trim flange. I got my Water Proof Silicone Caulk and caulk gun ready and applied some caulk around all of the screw heads ensuring a water tight seal. Before attaching the outer trim flange I applied some grey butyl tape to the back side of the flange all the way around it and then stuck in in place.

MVIMG_20190227_093239MVIMG_20190227_093235

Next I caulked around the framed opening and door frame using 2 beads of silicone caulking (one to seal the inside housing and one around outside of frame to seal to the RV). Finally I made sure to caulk where the gas line comes in and where the other two wires come into the front of the water heater. Doing so ensures that no gas can leak inside the RV through the bin that the water heater is housed in.

MVIMG_20190227_093239MVIMG_20190227_151319

To secure the door in place I placed two holes in the bottom of the door over the bottom pins on the frame and finally latched it shut. Now I can finally get back to enjoying life on the Road of Retirement…

NOTE: We are still at our winter site until March 1st in Bonita Springs, Florida and then we will move north to Little Manatee River State Park for a few days…

5 comments:

  1. You have to be happy that project is complete!, and it looks great. Enjoy your hot water :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure glad it is finished... just in time to leave!!!

      Delete
  2. Nice to get that project all taken care of, good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job on the WH replacement and thanks for the in-depth write up. Travel safe, the weather is not looking good for the next few days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job, I just hope you used heat resistant caulking around your gas line.

    ReplyDelete