Friday, December 24, 2021

What every RV’er dreads happening (Part 1)…

PXL_20211208_205758094

We left Deming NM and planned for a long drive into Texas because we were still trying to avoid a cold snap headed our direction. The drive down Interstate 10 was mostly uneventful as we pulled into our planned stop in Van Horn Texas.

We often stop in this unremarkable town as it is a great resting place on that long stretch of I10 through west Texas. Also there has always been at least one Passport America Park making it a cheap overnight stop.

As we pulled into Oasis RV Park in Van Horn I stayed in the RV while Sharon went inside to register. As she was inside the RV engine stopped running. Perplexed, I cranked it back up only for it to run about 30 seconds and die again. Well, this was not a good situation.

PXL_20211206_215027222

When Sharon returned I told her what happened, cranked it up again and it started running. However as I was driving over to our site,  it died again. Well after starting it and it stopping a lot we were able to crawl into a full hookup site.

After extensively researching what was going on I concluded we were having a fuel delivery problem. This meant it could be the fuel filters, the lift pump, the fuel injector pump or somehow the fuel injectors themselves were fouling out. Well the cheapest solution was to change out the fuel filters. Our RV has two of them.

So I crawled under the RV to take a photo of the filter I needed. I had a spare of the the smallest filter and luckily the NAPA in town had the replacement for the largest one. Not sure if I had all the tools we found a local roadside service who agreed to come by the next morning to remove and replace the fuel filters. After he finished I cranked up the engine and all seemed well as I let it idle for about 10 minutes.

After pulling in all the slides we were off once again for our next stop in Iraan Texas some 200+ miles further east. Fortunately the drive went well and we pulled into The Landing RV Park which was a nice little park. Pleased that the filter repair must have fixed the problem… or did it?

NOTE: We are currently in TX for the holidays…

3 comments:

  1. Oh no! At least it didn't happen while you were driving in traffic. Now I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the rest of "but wait, there's more".

    ReplyDelete
  2. The old I thought it was fixed story. Been there done that. Stay safe and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We stayed at that same park. Prior to getting there the rack we had on the back of our fifthwheel that held our generator collapsed. We had loaded the generator in the truck bed and did a temp fix on the rack. The people at the campground knew of a local welder and all was fixed and in great shape. What is it about Van Horn?

    ReplyDelete