Thursday, February 9, 2023

Repairing our Atwood Leveleg Leveler

3

Before arriving in Arizona we had an issue with one of our levelers on our RV. When we were in Texas we noticed the issue first at a park in Beaumont when the leveler wouldn’t come back up. As readers of this blog may remember I used a machine jack to raise the RV and simply removed the broken Leveleg so we could continue on our planned route.

When we arrived in College Station Texas I disassembled the gear box. After removing the gear box and opening it I didn’t find any sign of damage anywhere. So I regreased all the gears, reassembled it and reset the control board.1 Next I tested it manually and it worked automatically after that.Top with motor removed (1)

We travelled further west before it again gave us trouble upon our arrival here in Mesa AZ. This time the leveler wouldn’t go down. Once again I took off the offending Leveleg to attempt to figure out what might be the issue.

PXL_20221226_203720145PXL_20221226_203815736


Like before I removed the gear box and after opening it I still couldn’t find any sign of damage. I regreased all the gears and reassembled it one more time to try testing it manually.(You can use a drill with a socket to turn the nut at the end of the motor to manually raise or lower the Leveleg).

PXL_20230101_200449582

While it takes hundreds of revolutions with the drill to move the leg even slightly it was obvious that it was not going to budge up or down. Once again I took the entire leg apart and to get to the lower half of the leg which houses the mechanical screw that moves the RV up or down.  No matter what I tried the screw would not turn it was entirely seized up.

Bent pin in housing

The problem with this is that they no longer make these levelegs or any of the parts needed to repair them. Well desperate times call for desperate measures, so, thinking the leg may have become dry and rusted together I filled the lower half of the leg with oil and let is sit for a week.

Leveleg Gearshaft

I emptied the leg of oil and the screw still wouldn’t turn. So I thought I should cut the leg in half and see what the problem was and then have it welded back together. Before doing so I drove over to consult with a welder who adamantly suggested that this was a bad idea and would not work.

PXL_20230101_200449582

Now my only options were either to replace our whole leveler system or somehow get my broken jack to work. Giving it one more try I simply beat on the lower half of the leg until suddenly it “unseized” the leg. Then I unscrewed the entire leg (which was very dry) and loaded it with packing grease along the entire length of the screw.

I put it all back together and happily we have a working Leveleg system. For how long… who knows. We’ll just have to cross our fingers each and every time we put the levelegs down or up for the foreseeable future.

7 comments:

  1. I admit that I'm not at all mechanically inclined so this may be a dumb question, but I'm going to ask it anyway. What would cause something that's used on a regular basis to seize up like that? In any event, here's hoping you knocked enough sense into it that it no longer gives you any trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently these level legs are sealed in any way and can get water in them So I am assuming that the water slowly degraded the grease and broke it down over time.

      Delete
  2. I’m sure it has occurred to you that likely the other legs will need attention at some point,preferably before seizure.Enjoy following your travels & all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I di both of the front legs and plan to check the back legs out next. I should have mentioned this, thanks for adding this advice.

      Delete
  3. Boy does your ability to solve this problem remind me of David and make me really miss him. I'm in the midst of Jack won't go down problem on an HWH system. Don't make the parts I fear is going to become more and more of a problem for those of us with older rigs that we love. I sure envy Sharon for having someone so knowledgeable and mechanical right there with her. I've found out the hard way that good fix it techs are hard to find and very expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately good mechanics are indeed hard to find. They all charge a very high hourly rate. Even the ones who really don't know very much. Google and YouTube are my saviors!

      Delete