Thursday, September 14, 2023

Repainting the Endcap of our RV

2023-08-24

Well it didn’t take me long to get in trouble. Our RV is a 2007 model and thus is now 16 years old. Over the last year or so the clearcoat has begun to flake off in several places with the end-cap being the worst. What started out as little checks in the paint has resulted in some spots with lots of clearcoat peeling off as can be seen below.

cc off

Last year in Arizona I reached out to many paint shops across the USA to see what needed to be done. The consensus for fixing this problem wasto sand all the areas that are bad down to the primer or fiberglass.The cheapest bid I found was for $23,000. That is nearly half the current value of the RV.

Since there was absolutely no way I was going to pay that much money for cosmetics it left me little choice but to attempt to do it myself. The only problem was,the only painting experience I had was with houses not cars, trucks or RV’s. But hey, it is never too late to learn another trade, right?

allegro

First I had to figure out how to remove the stick- on logos and stickers on the RV. I decided to start with the end-cap first. After scouring the internet I bought an Eraser Wheel from Amazon. After a short while I had my first sticker off.

2023-08-28

After removing the stick-ons and stickers next would be sanding. Again after reading forums on the internet and watching hours of You Tube videos I began sanding the clearcoat off with 80 grit sandpaper

2023-08-26

To sand the entire end cap I had to remove all the lights and things attached. This also required researching because There were delicate plastic silver rings around each tail light that would surely break if not removed carefully.

PXL_20230828_124737356PXL_20230831_181057884

After using a paint can opener and a plastic putty knife I was able to gingerly remove each of the four plastic rings without breaking one of them. The rest of the lights were easy to remove. Now I was able continue sanding.

PXL_20230831_181110748

The gas cap removal was a bit tricky too. I sure hope when I am finished I will be able Humpty Dumpty back together again!

PXL_20230831_181103052

10 comments:

  1. Some years back, I worked in the business office of our local school district. One of the staff members had a plaque that read, "Apparently, there is nothing that cannot happen today." As I finished reading your post, I thought, "Apparently, there is nothing that John will not attempt to fix." Good for you! I'm impressed by your courage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure if I mess it up someone else can fix it!

      Delete
  2. Go John!!!!! I'll bet it looks better when you are done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a project!!! Good on you for taking it on, and good for Sharon for enjoying that grand-girl while you're staying busy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember a few years back when you helped your son complete his outdoor kitchen, and everything seemed to fall right into place. If you can do a large project like that, I know you will be a success at this project with the right steps.

    Congratulations on the new grandbaby!! Dee Tillotson, Summerville, SC

    Dee Tillotson

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job, John. Now if you are bored, you could help others.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete