Wednesday, September 27, 2023

More Sanding on the Endcap

PXL_20230902_221643848

I have been busy sanding the back of the RV. It has taken countless hours of sanding to remove all the paint but I have made great progress.I began sanding with 80 grit sandpaper to remove the clear coat which was damaged while knowing I had to really get down to the surface of the paint.

2023-09-03 Endcap Painting Project

As I was sanding through the clear coat I switched over to 180 grit to reduce my aggressiveness and to smooth the 80 grit scratches. Once I got down to the old paint I decided it was probably best to remove the paint as well and sand to the the fiberglass

To do that I continued with the 180 grit until I began to see the primer and then I switched to 240 Grit once again moving to a finer grit to smooth the scratches of the 180 grit sandpaper.

PXL_20230906_161728945

Once the primer was wearing through the last grit I chose to use was 320 grit. Once finished with this paper I will have a very smooth surface for application of the first few layers of epoxy primer.

That is where I'm at at this point in time I sanded for hours and hours resulting in a surface as "smooth as a baby's butt" ( well maybe not that smooth).Now I am focusing on caulk removal and finishing sanding all the hard to get to spots.

PXL_20230922_234347307

The next step will be to prepare a paint shelter that will protect me from the elements when I start the painting process of the epoxy primer. I will be using an epoxy primer from southern polyurethanes based upon recommendations from a forum I joined.

My paint shelter will be constructed out of 3/4 in. PVC pipe and thin plastic sheeting that is transparent to let the light in. It will be constructed so that it will cover the entire end cap. This will provide me a protected space from the elements such as dust, debris and bugs thus protecting my fresh paint.

So now it's a waiting game and time to buy my final products to get the job done. My plan is to start painting sometime around the 6 or 7th of October!

5 comments:

  1. I'm exhausted and my shoulder hurts, and all I did was read your post. Keep up the good work, John!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where are you parked to do this job surely not a campground

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, at a tolerant campground, I will do the painting elsewhere.

      Delete
  3. That's a lot of preparation work, but the final result will be worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete