Sunday, May 16, 2021

Farewell Rockport Texas, It’s been real…

PXL_20210511_153753989

Well my time has come to a close here in Rockport Texas as it has been two months since I first arrived. Actually it was two months and one day since I added a day due to heavy rains predicted. This stay was pretty much everything I had hoped for. It was quiet, it had the beach and ocean nearby yielding many fishing and walking opportunities. I was also able to find some great bird watching locations.

PXL_20210511_153711078

The only downside to this two month stay was the fishing was quite poor.  It could be my fishing skills but I’d like to blame it more on the big freeze which caused a huge fish kill in this area. It was bad enough with reduced limits on some fish species as well as increasing minimum sizes. The size limitations caused me the most grief on speckled trout as the size limit was raised to 17” and every trout I caught was just below that. I do want to thank Barney who pens the Old Fat Man Adventures blog for his fishing tips. Without his advice I may not have caught any trout!

PXL_20210506_191335868

When I first arrived in Rockport the wildflowers were blooming. My site was close to fields of Indian Paintbrush and Phlox and also close to a neat little spot nearby with a small pond. The pond was loaded with Whistling Ducks and Roseate Spoonbills but of late they have mostly moved on..

IMG_2313


I really enjoyed experiencing the annual bird migration this spring as this area is right in the heart of the migratory paths of many species of birds. Between frequent visits to Port Aransas and Goose Island State Park I also found several good birding spots near town, one even real close to a great happy hour spot.

PXL_20210511_153312442

For those who haven’t visited Rockport you really should especially to enjoy this quiet location on the Texas coast where there's great places to do a little fishing or for just hanging out at the beach. Rockport has that small town feel where life runs at a slower pace. Between hurricanes and Covid the area has suffered a bit but probably not much more than many other towns in the USA.PXL_20210511_153440639

The small downtown is up and coming. It is really trying to establish itself as a bit of a touristy area mixed with venues to attract locals. There are several well done murals to see that are scattered on the walls around town as it is emerging from the Covid slowdown.

PXL_20210506_202903074

Having said all this I am certainly ready to move on as hitch itch has become evident these past few days. I have no hesitation of returning to the this area as it appeals to most of my interests. Another huge positive for Rockport is the lower than usual costs associated with full timing while staying here. But alas, the wheels must roll once again…Next stop will be Shiner, Texas!

NOTE:  While Sharon is in North Carolina I am now currently at in College Station, Texas until  June 15th…

1 comment:

  1. Rockport looks like a great spot for your extended stay (I had to look it up on Google Maps :))
    Welcome back home to College Station.

    ReplyDelete