Sunday, May 9, 2021

More Birding and Future Planning…

IMG_2242

With my time here wrapping up soon I was able to get out a few more times to see the last of the bird migrating through the greater Rockport area. Focusing on the spots that seem to produce the most birds I often crossed over to Port Aransas on the free ferry. It may be free but depending on what time of the day the wait can be very long, especially on the weekends which I avoid.

IMG_2176

Leona Turnbull continues to be the best migrating bird location. Not only have I seen warblers migrating through but also all waterfowl still trickling their way northward. I have even seen a couple of birds I have never seen before such as the Cape May Warbler, the Blackpoll Warbler and the Black-billed Cuckoo. I was even lucky enough to capture a few photos of two of them.

IMG_2186

So before just ending with some photos of the birds I have seen I thought I’d update everyone on our plans as they are starting to develop. Looks like I will move over to College Station, Texas (our former hometown) for a month while Sharon finishes up her nanny/grandmothering stint. I will be staying three nights in Shiner Texas before arriving there though so I can revisit my favorite Texas brewery in Shiner.

IMG_2313

In June I will be flying out to North Carolina for a week to meet my newest granddaughter and afterward I will bring Sharon back to where she belongs, with me. Then we will begin a westward trek to New Mexico. I plan on stopping in Waco, Tex as a few nights before exploring parts of Texas we haven’t ventured through such as the towns and area around Meridian, Dublin, Comanche and Colorado City. 

IMG_2243

So our tentative plans are to move over to Roswell, NM and then up to Albuquerque. Our biggest challenge in order to finalize this part of our journey will be securing a reservation for the upcoming July 4th holiday… Ahhh, but that is our life on the Road of Retirement….

IMG_2231

6 comments:

  1. More wonderful birding photos. Finding a desirable spot on a holiday can often be a challenge, but you've mentioned that and are able to make adjustments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More wonderful Bird Pictures. It is amazing what Nature gives us to view.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to read about your stay and brings back memories when we were there. Shiner Beer has become one of our favorites and have been surprised we can get it in so many states. We missed the painted churches which I think were in the general area of Shiner.

    I'm also having a terrible time getting a decent spot for 7/4. Still don't have this scheduling stuff more than a month out under control. Thinking I'll go to three months out for scheduling purposes as two months also is not cutting it for state parks.

    Sure, a different time of year would be a different story in terms of getting a spot. But I'm thinking just looking x months out would be an easier rule to follow. Besides, having a place to live three months in advance would take some of the strain out of the planning process. Good to see the old pro like yourself is having the same issues getting a spot :) I've got friends going a year out in scheduling, saying that's the only way they can beat the locals to the good spots at state parks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got lazy, and sent you an email to start an offline conversation.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  5. Samsung USB Driver For Mobile phones I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you create this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you? Plz answer back as I’m looking to create my own blog and would like to know where u got this from. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. ThopTV For MAC Download I real delighted to find this site on bing, just what I was looking for : D also bookmarked .

    ReplyDelete